DAN TEHAN MP
MINISTER FOR TRADE, TOURISM & INVESTMENT
FEDERAL MEMBER FOR WANNON

$5.6 MILLION FOR HEAVY VEHICLE SAFETY GRANTS

November 26, 2021

Community and industry groups in Wannon can now apply for funding under the latest round of the Morrison Government’s Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative (HVSI).

The Government is investing a further $5.6 million in initiatives that will deliver safety improvements across Australia’s heavy vehicle industry, protect all road users, and grow the economy.

Member for Wannon, Dan Tehan encouraged community and industry groups with innovative ideas to improve heavy vehicle safety to apply for a share in this record funding under the HVSI.

“The Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative is ultimately about saving lives, so if you have a project, campaign, or idea that increases safety awareness, education and compliance, we want to hear from you,” Mr Tehan said.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Barnaby Joyce said the heavy vehicle industry plays a key role in driving Australia’s economy forward.

“Heavy vehicles move the goods and commodities Australians rely on to where they are needed – be that ports, supermarkets, or factories” the Deputy Prime Minister said.

“When trucks stop, the nation stops. That’s why we continue to invest in road safety programs and initiatives that will ensure our trucks keep moving and the economy keeps growing.

“The Government is committed to working with industry to ensure this vital sector remains safe and productive. This funding will support initiatives that increase safety awareness, education and compliance across the sector.”

Assistant Minister for Road Safety and Freight Transport Scott Buchholz said the Federal Government had so far allocated around $33.6 million through the HVSI.

“It’s been great to see projects that tackle safety issues in sectors including agriculture, livestock and rural freight, and raise awareness about issues such as driver fatigue and mental health,” Assistant Minister Buchholz said.

“I’ve seen firsthand the safety solutions these projects deliver, such as the trial of a livestock Parallel Access Landing frame in Kilcoy, Queensland which prevents the risk of drivers climbing and falling from the vehicle crate or being struck when loading or unloading livestock.

“It’s crucial we continue to prioritise these types of projects to ensure a productive and safe future for the industry.”

National Heavy Vehicle Regulator Chief Executive Officer Sal Petroccitto said there were 74 applications submitted under the last round of the program, and he hoped to see even more quality projects put forward.

“I urge the community and industry groups with tangible, effective ideas that align with the theme Safer Drivers, Safer Vehicles, Safer Road Use to submit your application and make a difference,” Mr Petroccitto said.

“I look forward to continuing to work with the industry to find solutions that make our roads safer.”

Applications for Round 7 funding are open until 14 February 2022. Projects must be implemented during the 2022-23 financial year and be completed within two years of commencement.

For more information or to view the Submission Guidelines visit www.nhvr.gov.au/hvsi

Media contact | Cate Mercer-Grant 0408 564 232
check-square-oyoutube-playinstagramfacebook-official